Thursday, January 7, 2010

green roofs, the loss of the word rooves

I'm not sure when words like "rooves" and "lept" became obsolete, or I'm not sure when I got so old. It just doesn't sound right when I'm reading a story and I read "He creeped across the room" or "she leaped off the bed". But it sounds like that is not a revolution that I'm going to win. Speaking of which, I was at the grocery store yesterday and had this sudden inspiration for a children's story called "Let's Start a Revolution". More on that once I get the first draft written.

Wow, my daughter just said, "Don't forget my homework. We have to do it now." If only that attitude would stick well into her teens!

So, I've been thinking about designs for a house in case we end up deciding to build our house in the country instead of buying an existing one. Last summer we went on a tour of a branch of the Seattle Public Library that has a green roof. I'm not sure what the benefits are except for using rain water run-off which would otherwise have tar residue in it and not be good for anything, and a natural form of insulation. I need to do a little more research on it. It would definitely go over better in the country than here in the city as I've heard people complain about how the library's roof looks "messy" or "unkempt". God forbid plants grow in a non-landscaped designed fashion.

I'm wondering if it is possible to combine a partial live roof with solar panels? I don't see why not but I must research further.

Another thought I had recently was - is it really more environmentally friendly to use wood burning as a heat source? Whenever the air gets stagnant and it doesn't rain for a week here, because of the high pollution rate in the city they have "burn bans" and no one is supposed to use their fireplace. I need to look into how much pollution wood stoves put out. Would electricity be a cleaner heating source? Or natural gas? It seems non-intuitive because fire is the most basic and oldest heat source, but it also might not be the most environmentally friendly. I like the idea of not being reliant on a government utility structure, but I also don't want to ruin the Earth any more than I already do just by existing and driving a car and buying things with plastic wrapping, etc. etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment