Saturday, April 3, 2010

Back in the cold Pacific Northwest

It appears that I have used that particular subject heading before. Probably when we came back from New Orleans last fall. It's really not cold - 43 degrees. Just cool. And gray. And windy. I'm glad that our plane landed at 4:30pm yesterday because the big winds really picked up about 5:30pm and I'm not a big fan of turbulence. Ok, it makes me really anxious to be honest.

Both flights were really smooth and uneventful but the flight out was nicer because it was sunny the whole way down. It was sunny over Arizona when we flew out yesterday but clouded up by Utah. As we were flying out of the Phoenix airport my husband pointed to a big brown peak on top of the big brown hills outside of town and announced, "I went to the top of that!" Right next to it was the slightly lower peak that I walked up to and it looked so much bigger when we were flying over it. I think if he had announced as we were flying into town, "Hey - we're going to hike up there this week!" I would've said no way.

I'm glad I did it though because it was a good reminder that I am not "disabled" by my chronic illness (thankfully). And I was surprised how my legs weren't really very sore. I guess all that horseback riding has helped me gain some strength.

I can't help but wonder why I am still living in this gray, cloudy city when there are so many places in our country that are hot and sunny? I definitely feel better when I'm in a sunny, warm environment - both mentally and physically. Rheumatoid arthritis (at least in my case) does not mesh well with cold, wet weather.

I can answer that question pretty easily actually - my husband (and most people I know personally who live here) are convinced that everyone in the Southern states that are off the West Coast are all uneducated rednecks who think Sarah Palin is God's personal gift to our country and that FOX news speaks the Lord's truth. I don't believe that myself but then I could be very naive.

Here's a photo of where I hiked to and where J.P. hiked too. I quit after a mile because my knee and ankle joints were starting to hurt and I'm glad I did because walking down was much harder on my ankles. Luckily, a little boy - maybe 12 years old - adopted me as a hiking partner and we talked about lizards and spiders that we saw a long the trail and I tried to explain to him why adults don't get bored as easily as kids do (without actually saying that kid brains aren't fully developed yet).

1 comment:

  1. Your annotations aren't accurate in that photo. The parking lot doesn't have line-of-sight to the peak. You actually stopped just a bit past where you have me marked above, which is about the halfway point in distance, and around two-fifths of the elevation gain. (base at 1400', halfway at 1900', peak at 2600') You did better than you thought!

    ReplyDelete