Thursday, October 7, 2010

dramarama

The girl got her tonsils and adnoids out on Tuesday morning and we had hoped it would be a non-event but it has turned out to be very difficult and extremely painful for her. Post-surgery was hard because she woke up disoriented and in a lot of pain and was crying and could barely talk. I ended up lying down on the gurney and having her fall back asleep on me for an hour or so because it was the only way she would calm down. Later in the day seemed more promising because the pain medicine worked and although she couldn't eat, she drank lots of cold fluids and was in much better spirits.

Yesterday things went downhill rapidly. It still hurt too much to eat and the pain medicine and antibiotics made her nauseous to take on an empty stomach. The whole day was filled with me begging her to try to eat ice cold stuff or at least drink something and her refusing and looking miserable. By evening she started throwing up any liquid I could get down her and the anti-nausea medicine the surgeon called in for her didn't help. By 10pm the surgeon said we needed to take her to the E.R. Thankfully, they were able to get her re-hydrated and cut down on the pain a lot and get her nausea under control. Unfortunately, we discovered she is allergic to morphine. But at least we discovered that at the hospital so she could immediately be put on in IV drip of benadryl. They waffled on whether or not to send her home or to admit her to the hospital, but decided we were close enough that she could sleep at home and if she doesn't improve we'll take her back today to have her admitted.

I've run the full range of emotions from feeling strong and like I can handle all this and it will be fine, to crying and feeling incredibly guilty like somehow this is all my fault and guilty because I didn't adequately prepare her for how awful this would be (but honestly, everything I'd heard I thought it would be an easy recovery). I definitely feel traumatized. When they said they might have to admit her to the hospital the first thing I asked was if I could stay there with her because I knew if I had to go home I would be climbing the walls and freaking out not being with her. Of course, she was at Children's and they said I could stay. I wish all grown-up hospitals were as nice as Children's.

I know social network sites are kind of lame, but I do like that I could post on Facebook that we were heading to the ER and I came home at 3am to a bunch of messages from friends offering their support and even saying they'd come meet us at the hospital if need be. That was pretty awesome.

In happier news around the house, Janey-the-chicken is molting which is pretty funny to watch. She looks like someone tried to pluck her but didn't succeed. And Alina thinks this is the perfect time to try and usurp Janey's dominant position by challenging her which really pisses off Janey. The downside is our yard is covered in feathers. For someone who loves animals it really bugs me having feathers all over the place (and tracking them into the house on accident) the same way it really bugs me in Spring when I brush Girlfriend and I'm instantly covered in winter fur that she's shedding.

This last week has reminded me that there are some good aspects to living in the city. Like being close to the hospital. I was showing a friend photos of the latest house we made an offer on and he said, "But it's the suburbs," and I said, "Well, but it doesn't feel like the suburbs," and he said, "But it is the suburbs," and I said, "I know. And no matter how much I spin it, it is still the Eastside too." I used to always say I would never live in the suburbs, only in the city or the country. But since we have yet to find a place to work while living out in the country, the suburbs - on the Eastside no less! - it is. But this latest house we made an offer on really doesn't feel like the suburbs. It has a city-owned vacant lot next door, a green belt across the street and behind the houses across the street on the other side of the vacant lot is a huge protected wetlands. So, we may not have deer in our yard or get to listen to elk at night, but there's still a lot of wild nature The protected wetlands are nice because they are totally untouched and wild and you can walk around in there, there just aren't any paths or trails and it's totally wild, which I like. There's even a sign that says "Explore at your own risk, this is untended wetlands". Neat!

And yes, the latest house we made an offer on is another short sale because we apparently did not learn our lesson trying to buy the last one. Although, at least we're not dealing with a shiester seller's agent who doesn't know what he's doing but is still trying to scam everyone and a seller who is trying to make a buck. I actually feel really bad for the family selling this house because as is my way I stalked them and their neighbors to the best of my limited Private-I abilities and the information I gathered shows they all sound like nice people. So who knows what will happen with that but we do know now that although the house was scheduled to be foreclosed and auctioned mid-month, the bank actually is postponed that to look at our offer.

With that, me and EJ need a pain-free, illness-free vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment