Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lost in the suburbs

I went to a girl's night get-together for women at my church last night. My church is way back in Seattle but we rotate whose house it's at and this one was at a woman's house in Redmond so I thought, "Great! It's on the Eastside - how convenient!". I did not take into account that there are places on the Eastside that are rural enough to not have streetlights and to have really bad signage. I got a little lost going there but managed to find it with only one major illegal u-turn on the 4-lane highway (with no cars on it thankfully!).

But then coming home at 10pm became a major issue when I tried to follow my directions there only backwards, took a wrong turn and ended up in Bellevue near the turn-off to Issaquah/Fall City which is extremely far South compared to where I live (up by Snohomish County). Much whining and swearing ensued and I pulled off on some dark, deserted road and studied my map until I figured out where I was and how to get back to where I wanted to be ... many many miles north. Thankfully, I had my latest audiobook with me. My husband and I are obsessed with Hamish McBeth stories right now but not in books, on audiobooks because the narration is so great in a heavy Scottish accent.

I'm starting to feel at home in our neighborhood. Some of the "wishing for familiarity" is starting to go away because things around here are starting to feel familiar. I'm also signed up to volunteer in my daughter's classroom one day a week which will help me feel more involved and less cut-off and wondering what her school is like.

I took my husband and daughter out to look at the stable close to her house to see if she wants to take lessons on the ponies there. Saturday is a very busy lesson day but it was almost completely empty except for one girl and her horse and the owner. Unfortunately, the trainer was gone for the long weekend. But my daughter liked the ponies and there is one little black Welsh pony that is for sale and my daughter immediately took to her and reached in to pet her. I've heard lots of stories that ponies are bratty so I was waiting for this one to do something like nip at her or push at her or just walk away, but instead she ducked her head down and let her pet her nose, then when my daughter stopped the pony very gently put her nose up against my daughter's hand and waited for her to start petting her again. So cute! Even my husband had a moment of thinking she was so cute! And she's for sale! Of course, who knows how she is on the ground being groomed and tacked up and who knows how she is to ride. She's only 5 years old so she's probably still very green. And too small for me to ride to get her in shape and get some experience into her. But my mind did start clicking on "How could I afford to buy her for my daughter???" Sigh. I think we'll just start with some consistent riding lessons on ponies before I get any wild ideas.

2 comments:

  1. 90% of the ponies I have met are brats. Last week I saw one pushing around a full grown Morgan horse. So they put her in with my even more disagreeable Quarter Horse (that showed her). I actually learned how to ride almost exclusively on regular sized horses, it's actually better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg - most ponies I've met are brats too and I learned to ride on full size horses too. But there are exceptions to the rule. My daughter went to a horse camp last year with only ponies and all were very sweet. The owner said it took forever to find a herd of sweet ponies and it seemed to her like she was always picking that one out of a hundred, but they are out there. Just not the norm! Maybe they all have a Napolean comples!

    ReplyDelete