Sunday, March 6, 2011

Maybe I'll be a farrier ...

I just found a post I never actually finished posting from the other day when my new farrier came out to help my horse with her new shoes. The first reason was because my old farrier had flaked on me three times and my horse was four weeks overdue. And when I told her I was going with someone else she got really defensive about how I shouldn't be upset because she missed one appointment but she had a family emergency and I should understand. Yes, once I would understand (even without her letting me know she wouldn't make it). But this appointment she did that three times so my poor horse was over four weeks late for shoes and every time she flakes at least once and doesn't tell me she's not coming. So, I don't even want to discuss it because that sounds like a bottomless pit discussion.

Now I'm glad I switched because my new farrier had some good ideas to make my horse more comfortable with her arthritis and to help her stop stumbling. Her feet looked really good by the time he left and I learned a lot more about hooves and posture.

From last week:

Ok, just in case you are concerned about the subject title of this post I am NOT going to be a farrier. For the plain and simple fact that even I can admit that I am just not physically capable of doing that job. In case you don't know what a farrier is, it is someone who takes care of a horse's feet - from filing them down and/or making shoes for them to making sure their feet are healthy and giving advice on medical treatment when they are not.

Farriers spend their days bent over at the waist, holding up horse's feet (which is fine if you have a horse like mine who "helps" you and holds up her feet, but not so easy when you have a 1200 pound horse who drops his foot into your hand and makes you hold it up). Also, not so good when the horse decides to kick you. You also have to shape (with fire and a huge hammer) metal horse shoes. Even I know that a middle-aged girl with rheumatoid arthritis could not do that job.

But it is so interesting learning about the care of horse's feet. I had a new farrier come out today to do my poor horse's 4 weeks overdue shoes. He was so cool. We talked a lot about the way my horse's hoof is shaped and how that affects her legs and where it puts the stress on her legs and in her body. It's fascinating to me and reminds me of how interesting the postural analysis segment of therapeutic massage was to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment