Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Searching for frogs

I finally got a chance (while it wasn't pouring down rain) to go searching for frogs in back of our house. Right past the storm pond there is a swampy area with lots of wild overgrown trees that I thought was right at the edge of the creek that runs behind our house. It took me two tries to get through the swampy area - my first try ended up with one of my galoshes getting stuck in the mud and I had to reach down and pull with all my might to get it out. The second try consisted of having to cross a couple fallen trees to bypass the succubus mud.

But it was well worth it! Right past the fallen trees the ground sloped slightly down to a beautiful semi-clearing for about 100 feet before the creek - which was flooded over and rushing with a really fast current! It is soooooo beautiful! I foresee summer picnics back there with the girl. I didn't see any frogs though unfortunately.

I went out first thing this morning to ride my horse and she did really well. She was calmer than usual at first. Walking at a nice relaxed and slow pace and stretching her head way down and snorting happily. I did not do as well. For one thing I had my feet positioned correctly the way Valerie turned them last Thursday and that put a lot more strain on my quadraceps during posting which made me tired much quicker, but I also started to get a lot of pain in my lower back again. The last three times I've ridden I've gotten a horrible, aching pain in my lower back. And my arthritis started acting up in my wrists and shoulders as soon as my ride was done and I'd taken Girl and Ziggy out to the pasture. Granted Ziggy was being a butt and pulling, and when we got to the pasture he tried to push past me to run in and I had to hold him back and scold him and let him know that wasn't ok. But I've had to do that stuff with him before and it has not caused a flare up. I'm just really behind on my Enbrel from so many colds and I'm hoping that over the next couple weeks I can catch up and get back to that nice comfortable non-RA-acting-up place I've been in for so long. Worst case scenario I have to add in the methotrexate again for awhile, but honestly the way I'm feeling right now, that might not be such a bad idea.

Meanwhile, still loving the new house and neighborhood. I need to buy a bunch of dirt for my raised bed gardens. And I got the ok to clean up behind our yard in this vacant area between us and the storm pond that is totally overgrown with weeds and blackberries and is calling to be cleaned up and have some meadow grass planted and some raised beds with blueberries and raspberries (and maybe strawberries).

No comments:

Post a Comment