Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Victory!

Well, first off all, I went for an eye exam today and found out I need glasses for the first time in my life. That is kind of weird. But it's also exciting because as I was doing the eye exam and optometrist flipped the little lense thing in front of my eyes and said, "Is this clearer?" It was *really* clearer! Ah, reading small print will no longer be such an issue! Plus, I found some really cute glasses. I'm starting to learn to appreciate accessories.

So, in major victory news - Sinatra went into his stall today! Granted I had to employ the help of one of the trainers, K. at the stable (my instructor wasn't there), but not only did Sinatra go in, then he went in three times for her and three times for me. She didn't just work with him, but worked with me on what I was doing and how to help encourage him. Before I take him out again though I need to get a stud chain because he is starting to get ancy today. And he got much more so today because I walked him in the arena. At one point he tried to shake the lead rope out of my hand and reared and tried to turn and run away. Luckily, my instructor, V. has worked with me on how to handle it when Rolls does that when he spooks, so I let the lead rope go in my right hand and held on lightly with my left and said, "Whoooa ..." calmly and he stopped and looked at me like, "Oh come on! Why can't I run!" In general he is a really good horse - I still firmly believe that. Even though he's kind of ADD and very mouthy and young and stubborn.

Unfortunately, when we got to the arena door to leave he wouldn't budge. K. and one of her students were too far away to hear me so despite my better judgment I had to take Sinatra's lead rope off and leave him in the arena to get get K. to help me. Especially because I didn't have as much time as I needed because I needed to pick my daughter up after school in a half hour. As I was walking up to K. and her student her student's eyes got really big and she said, "Oh my god! How did he get loose?" and I said, "I couldn't get him to come out of the arena so I came to ask for help and I needed to let him go to come get you." Unfortunately, he ran around the arena twice before we got back.

When we got back in the arena he was standing quietly looking happy, cantered over to us and did a sliding sideways skid and looked at us like, "Aren't I cute?" He followed K. right out of the arena, which I found disconcerting. But I was relieved to see that as soon as he got to the stall he stopped and refused to move or go in. K. asked me to hold him and came back with a stud chain. Then instead of pulling on him from standing next to him or pulling steadily standing in front of him, she walked into the stall in front of him, then rocked back and forth with the lead rope - pull, release, pull, release ... over and over again in a steady rocking motion. Then as soon as he took even a tiny step forward she gave him a pet and me, her student and now the owner of the stable who came to watch all said, "Goooood boy! Very good job, Sinatra." This kept up for maybe ten minutes or so until Sinatra finally just gave up and walked right in. We gave him lots of pets and a carrot. Then K. walked him in and out three times (each time he went in giving him lots of pets and carrots). Then she handed me the lead rope and I took him out and put him in three times in a row!

So, I need a stud chain and I need to practice walking in and out of the stall now when I got out to see him. And I need to call his vet to talk about calming supplements so he doesn't drive himself crazy on his stall rest.

I am very concerned because the Lizzaner two stalls down has a fever. I don't know anything about horse diseases but the vet's been out the last couple days and he's being treated and his owner uses gloves when touching him and doesn't touch other horses. And the vet has not quarantined him. But it's still worrisome with Sinatra being so young and Girlfriend coming in and being so old. But I need to trust the vet that he knows what he's doing and isn't going to put the other horses in danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment