Wednesday, June 29, 2011

anti-vax hits the horse world + too much tribal pride

I was just reading an article in Horse & Rider by a vetrinarian addressing the anti-vaccination movement in the horse world.  The arguments for and against are exactly like the ones I read about with humans.  A big point in the "for" group being "Most people are too young to have ever watched their horse slowly suffer and die of Tetanus."  Just like "Most people are too young to see the devastation caused by polio." I have even heard young people say recently, "Polio was not such a bad disease you know.  It's just the hype from the drug company making us think it was."  I wonder if they feel the same about small pox? Hmmm ... almost wish they'd come down with it to see what it's like but actually no, I wouldn't wish small pox or polio on anyone in reality.

I have also been thinking the last day or so about our human instinct to have turf pride and want to stick with "our tribe".  I've been wondering if that is why so many of my old neighbors/friends are so sure that there must be something wrong with me that I would want to leave Seattle.  When I bring up the reasons - the downsides of our old neighborhood, they either say "It's not that big of a deal" or "You'll get that anywhere."  For instance, a couple months ago there was a drive-by shooting just a couple blocks from my old house.  Add that to the trend in home-invasion robberies (ie: thugs kicking in a door or smashing a window, pistol-whipping the residents and tying them up and stealing their stuff) and having to dodge incoherent drunks and drug addicts to get into the library and stepping over them in the parks and I don't know what could be there that was important enough to put up with that.

I guess that I'm just as bad as my old neighbors in that I wonder why they want so badly to *stay* when I want so badly to leave.  But I wonder sometimes if it is just an overblown sense of "making the best of where you are".    It's hard to sell one's house and buy a new one and uproot one's life.  And sometimes not having to commute very far is more important than anything else.  So, it helps to think that anywhere "not in the city" is an awful place to be.  And sometimes I imagine it is the image and prestige that comes of living in the city.  I know there are people who think they are "cooler" or "more sophisticated" because of where they live.   Which I find baffling.  I guess it is all about one's priorities.

Diamond, our little black kitten has been officially presumed dead.  I came to that conclusion over the weekend and my husband came to it when we got home from our long weekend away.  We talked about it and decided that to appease our collective grief (including Buddycat's) we would get our daughter a new kitten.  She said this time she wants a white one, like her dad had growing up and she's going to name it Snowflake.  I found a listing for a litter of white kittens needing homes on the internet, showed the photos to my husband, who said he wanted the lone little gray calico in the photo.  I reminded him that our daughter really wanted a white kitten and he said, "Well, maybe we just need to get two."  So this Sunday we're going down South to pick up two new 9 week old kittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment