Friday, July 15, 2011

Learning to pick my battles

I was having an email discussion with a couple neighbors last night about a common area along a busy street at the back of our HOA.   It's looks really bad right now and I want to clear it out and fill it with drought tolerant plants and the two neighbors I was emailing with said it was too expensive and they wanted to just put down a swath of weed killer and be done with it.  I was against that because a few blocks away is the environmentally protected wetland.  So, I suggested I see if I can find a way to pay for all the plants (hopefully some neighbors not on the email will pitch in) but if not I'd back down.

What's weird is that I rolled with it.  If I'm out-voted I'm not going to throw a hissy fit and insist I get my way.  That is a very strange reaction from me to just let it go as I've been outvoted and it's no big deal.  With all my complaining about people who say "this is the way and the only way" about stuff, I'm hopefully finally realizing that I need to bend too when my beliefs aren't the beliefs of the majority.  Of course there is still a little part of me that is screaming, "But I'm right!!!"  But I am only right to me and people who believe the same thing as me, but not to the rest of the people in the world who think differently from me.

I'm learning some of this from where I currently work, which deals with a lot of different groups who are on such wildly differently political spectrums that I always worry a little once a year when they get together in one room - I always wonder if they're just going to implode upon meeting.  So far there haven't been any casualties when they get together.  And nothing gets done if people don't bend a little in their opinions (for a great example of nothing getting done because of hard-headedness just take a look at the U.S. Congress).

Of course, if the rest of the neighborhood agrees to my plan to put in drought tolerant plants in that space it's going to be a lot of work and my poor husband will probably end up doing more of our share of the work than me because my rheumatoid arthritis may not put up with a lot of heavy duty digging out of weeds.  Despite his environmental tendencies himself he may not be so happy with my solution! Still, I hope that my idea flies so I can go all crazy with my organic gardening plan.

Update:  Yay! I get to be in charge of the common area and hopefully I'll be able to get a work party together to help me pull out all the weeds so my poor husband doesn't have to be the only one doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment