Monday, September 5, 2011

Toad be Illin' - Update

We had the vet out to see Toad last Friday.  My vet was busy all weekend with the Evergreen State Fair being in town, but luckily, she has hired a partner who was able to come out.  Trainer K. was there which was good because since I'd been sick I hadn't been out much to see her behavior, I'd just seen it the brief time I was out with her Wed. and Thursday.  Basically the problem was, she was very sensitive about her face (more so than usual) and was shaking her head a lot and snorting and sneezing like she had something in her nose.

The vet looked her over then had me take her out and lunge her at a walk and a trot.  She was good at listening to my commands on the lunge line but was throwing her head around like crazy as though the cavesson had burrs in it pressing onto her nose.  Luckily, I did not have to have her canter because I am still getting over my sinus/ear infection so spinning in circles was not high on my list of things I wanted to do.  After a full exam and watching her on the lunge line the vet said she thought it was an issue in her neck causing nerve pain in her face.   So, she did some chiropractic work on her which Toadie seemed to really like.  The vet said the first couple days she shouldn't work at all and she might not show signs of improvement till the third day.

Saturday and Sunday she was snorting like crazy every time she put her head down to eat or drink and throwing her head like crazy when I'd put the halter on her to lead her from the pasture to the stable.  I was starting to feel really frustrated and hopeless.  But today she was doing a lot better and Trainer K. was able to do a lesson with her on the ground.  Gemini's owner, MT did some equine massage on Toadie's neck and she really liked it and ended up sighing a lot and nuzzling her head happily into my chest.

MT laughed and said, "I don't know who this horse is," and Trainer K. said "I know. This is a totally different horse!" So I finally said, "You guys keep saying that but I didn't see what was happening before. Can you tell me why she's so different?" So, Trainer K.  told me a little about what they're talking about.  For instance, she said that Toadie wouldn't have stood there and let MT give her a neck massage.  And you couldn't groom her fully because once you got back near her butt she'd flip out and go crazy in the cross ties.  And nobody in her right mind would take her temperature - but on Friday the vet went to take her temperature and Trainer K. said, "Be careful!" and I asked, "Why?" and Trainer K. said, "Just be careful with this horse," and the vet went right back and took her temperature and she pinned her ears at first but otherwise stood there very politely.  Trainer K. said she was shocked.

Something must have happened between when she was acting like that and when I started trying to work with her.  When I first took her out of her stall she did try to run off with me but listened when I corrected her.  And when I first tried to groom her she tried to squish me against the wall with her butt but she moved when I told her.  So, she really wasn't that bad.  I don't know what happened between then and when I started working with her, all I know is she is just the sweetest girl now!

Meanwhile, my health is a real pain (no pun intended).  The official diagnosis appears to be Subacute Thyroiditis which means that my thyroid is very swollen and painful and I have hyperthyroid for awhile.  The hyperthyroid isn't bothering me so much yet, but the pain is awful!  It feels like a horrible sharp pain in my thyroid that radiates terrible achiness all over my neck, back and head like someone beat me up with a huge club.  And it's supposed to last a couple more weeks at least.  Ugh.  Thank goodness for large amounts of naproxen and Tylenol.  It also looks like I have a ping pong ball stuck in my neck, although so far no one has says they noticed it until I pointed it out.  At least my energy is coming back a little, which is good because I have to go back to work tomorrow and make up all I missed last week.  I guess if worst comes to worst I can always kick my dog off the couch in my boss's office and take a nap tomorrow afternoon. Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment