Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy 2012!

It's New Year's Eve and I'm happily snuggled on the couch with my daughter watching Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve.  I keep muting the parts with Jenny McCarthy though and trying to explain to my 7-year old in age appropriate terms why she is evil and why she has a death count on her head of children who have died needless deaths from preventable diseases because of Jenny McCarthy's anti-vaccine campaign. Anyway.

We went to a pre-New Year's Eve party at a friend's house in Seattle last night which was really fun for the two hours we were there.  Amusing interchange of the evening with someone (from the city apparently) I hadn't met yet:  Stranger: "Um, did you just say "arena"?" Me: "Yes, but I mean a riding arena, like in a barn." "I know, I heard you use the word barn too.  So I heard "barn" and "arena" - am I going to hear the term "pick-up truck" next?" Me (without flinching): "No, cause I don't have one. We can't afford one yet, but I need one to be able to haul the horse trailer." Oddly enough, urban stranger switched gears and said, "So, you actually have horses? Cause I used to like horses when I was a kid."

Unfortunately, I was having a great time hanging out with old friends - some from as far back as highschool age, but I'd been having little momentary bouts of nausea and by evening was having little bouts of dizziness and wooziness - which I was writing off as just being tired.  And with rheumatoid arthritis, sometimes I just don't feel very good.  But not this time.  By 9:30am I was so nauseous I whispered to my husband that we had to leave immediately because I didn't feel well and while saying my good-byes kept my eye on the path to the bathroom.  It was really unfortunate timing because I was having such a good time with my old friends and we'd all gotten babysitters which is very rare.  Oh well.  I feel much better now 24 hours later and got to enjoy some hot cereal and my first cup of coffee of the day for dinner.

I'm hoping to feel well enough to go work Toad tomorrow. We were supposed to make up our training session this morning but I was too sick, and honestly Trainer K. was so sick yesterday I almost hope she didn't go do the training.  But she never takes a day off.  Another reason to not go in today to give her this yucky virus.

So, going into 2012 I really can't think of year that I had more to be grateful for.  We have a wonderful home, the chance and ability to try to follow our dreams - mine with horses and writing and my husband with his art - even if it's not full-time.  We have wonderful friends and family and for the most part our health (and great health care which is sadly a luxury in our country nowdays).  I hope that I can impart some of my good fortune to others in the coming year so they too can have so much to be grateful for in their lives.

On a less mature note, the conversation on our couch is making me happy. Me: "Oh god, Ashton Kucher, maybe he and Jenny McCarthy should get together to be the ultimate vortex of annoyance." My husband: "If they got together they would collapse into a singularity by the gravitational force of their collected egos."

1 comment:

  1. Beware: Extreme cattiness to follow!

    Ms. McCarthy's vaccine battle (which infuriates me, as it does you) makes me wonder why she settled on vaccines as the culprit. I wonder if any research has been done into the effects of maternal artificial breast implants on the health outcomes of the recipients' offspring. But seeing as how autism more often occurs among the children of highly intelligent people, that would make the Playboy Bunnies with autistic children stastical outliers. Not to mention that if Ms. McCarthy were to blame the breast implants, she might have to point her anger/confusion over her son's developmental status at herself instead of the public health system that is providing the education and assistance that her child will need/receive for the rest of his life.

    (I warned you it was going to be catty!)

    ReplyDelete