Wednesday, July 25, 2012

just a coupla hot nails

Toad got her feet done today and then we were going to work her over trot poles and maybe even lunge her over a tiny jump to see what she thought but it didn't end up happening.  I am actually really curious to see what she thinks the second time about lunging over a small jump because the first time she hopped over it quite gracefully, then stopped suddenly and struck out full force with both her back legs and sent it flying.  Then she wouldn't go near it again.

She was pretty good for her shoeing although she got angry at one point with one of her front feet, but then she calmed down.  Unfortunately, it turned out she got angry because she had two hot nails.  "Hot nails" are when the nails are too high up in the hoof and hurt the horse.  It's pretty easy to accidentally get a hot nail on a thoroughbred because they are so sensitive and I think my farrier told me they have less area to put nails in than other breeds.  I need to look that up - I can't remember if he told me that or not.  Anyway, she had quite a limp so we didn't get to do any work.  Trainer K. got the farrier's voice mail so she said she'd pull them out herself and then we'd just have her wait in her stall till he could come back and put in lower ones.

I was very proud of Toad because she stood like a champ for the first one, and it was difficult to get out.  It was in there so tight Trainer K had to get one of the other boarders to hold Toad's foot for her so she could pull on the nail with both hands.  My job was to keep Toad focused on me and distracted enough that she wouldn't yank her leg away and stomp down with the nail half out because that would drive it back in and possibly hurt her more.  She did very well and they got the first nail out.  Then I walked her up and down the aisle and she was still limping so Trainer K. took the second nail out.  This one hurt more as she was  pulling it out - it wiggles around in there like when you're trying to get out a giant splinter.  She threw her head a few times but as long as I kept making her look at me and keep focused on me she managed to get through it.  I was very proud of her!  I remember the story about how no one could get near her feet when she had mud fever so no one could scrub them or do anything help with it and she just had to suffer - but it was too dangerous to even try because she'd go crazy if someone went near her sore feet.  So, I was very proud that she didn't try to kill any of us and actually did really well for having a sore spot on her foot messed with.  I think she knew that we were trying to help her and she finally has people she knows she can trust.

When Trainer K. got that second nail out, Toadie let out the biggest sigh, her whole body relaxed and her head just dropped down to the ground in relief.  The farrier was able to come by a couple hours later and get some new nails in so we will resume work tomorrow instead.

My daughter got in a bit of trouble when we got home today so she was on restriction all day - no friends over and no tv or video games.  So, we did some chores together and went out and ran errands together and lied on my bed for quite awhile and just talked.  For awhile she sprawled on the couch and read while I did some work - in all it was one of the best days we've had together recently.  She even said right before going in to take a shower "Being on restriction is actually pretty fun."  I especially liked not having the tv blaring while I was making dinner with all those annoying commercials and the canned laughter and the endless fight over not watching repeats of shows she's seen a bunch of times.  I'm seriously thinking of ditching cable.  After the Olympics though because I want to watch the equestrian events.

No comments:

Post a Comment