Sunday, December 23, 2012

Merry Christmas

I'm finally on Christmas vacation.  I had to catch up on some work today from home but now I don't have any work to do until I go to work on Thursday.  Ok, I may actually have more to catch up on Wednesday but I'm going to not think about it until then.

I went out to see Girlfriend and take more supplements out to her in the afternoon.  I had hoped to stay and spend some time with her but I had a really bad headache and didn't feel up to it.  She looks good - she's getting nice and chubby on pasture grass and supplements and apparently the Pergolide must be working because she's not as sway-back and her hocks aren't as boney as before she retired to pasture life.

In the evening I went with an old friend of mine from about twenty years ago to help her feed horses for S.A.F.E.   We lost touch for awhile but now that I live in the boonies on the Eastside like her we've been back in touch which is really fun.  We were hipster chicks in downtown Seattle together back in the day and hung out with rock stars and played lots of pool.  This evening we were standing in a freezing cold hay loft trying to cut the twine on a bale of hay with one of her keys because some other volunteer had misplaced the scissors and suddenly it flew out of my mouth, "Oh my God! Look at us!" and she said, "I know! I never would've called this scene back in the day!"  Although when I think about when she and I drove across country together it did seem like something the two of us would be doing.  After that day in Central Texas when she insisted we pull over on the side of the highway so I could take a picture of her sitting in the middle of all the blue flowers in the Blue Bonnet Trail not realizing they were little cactus plants and she ended up doing this dance on the side of a highway in the middle of boonies Texas trying to pull cactus burrs out of her butt!

There is a new horse, Logan at the rescue.  He's an older Arab and he is very scared. Luckily, he has a friend next door and they can touch noses over the top of the stall wall in between them.  There was a sign on stall door that said that he was unsocialized and to use caution around him.  My friend's teenage daughter was bringing in a bin full of mash for him and the mom in me took over and I said to let me give it to him just because. I'm sure she's just as good at handling horses as me - she's been riding for years and years, but to me she is still a little girl.  I haven't quite gotten over seeing her as the baby I used to babysit when she was first born.

I noticed Logan had two other mash bins that he hadn't touched so I pulled those out and went to tell my friend.  She sent a text to the volunteer director to tell her and ask if we should bother soaking mash for the morning since he hadn't touched the other two (which I'm not sure why the morning person didn't take the old one out?).  The volunteer director texted back that he had to have the mash because he needed the oil in it for pre-surgery (on Thursday).  My friend told me that and I pointed out that he wasn't getting any of the oil because he wasn't touching the mash so how was that helping him and why wasn't someone giving it to him with a syringe?  My friend pointed out that it wouldn't work to try and have volunteers do that. So I said, "Well, crap, I'll do that," to which my friend responded by getting the oil and drumming up a syringe and saying, "Here you go."

I filled up the syringe with the oil (which I noticed is a horse laxative) and handed it to my friend and said, "Come with me and hold this while I put on his halter" and she started to call her daughter and I said, "No, you come with me," which she looked dubious about.  I told her not to worry, she just needed to hold the syringe up so that the oil wouldn't drip out until I needed it.

Poor Logan was really scared of the halter and wasn't very comfortable with me in the stall.  He wanted me to pet him but at the same time was quite worried about the halter.  I watched him closely though and although he was definitely scared and didn't want me to put the halter on, he wasn't doing anything threatening - it was all evasive and he didn't do anything to challenge or fight me. And he could ran out into the run outside his stall to get away and he wasn't, so I decided it wasn't a dangerous situation and I'd stick with it.  I finally was able to put the halter on him (although he never dropped his head for me, at least he stood still and thankfully he's not a tall horse so I was able to get the strap over his head on my tip-toes).  Then he got really upset about that nasty stuff in the syringe.  We did the same thing as with the halter, let him sniff the syringe,  rubbed him with it and just in general talked quietly and stayed very calm.  I managed to get a good portion of the syringe in his mouth (which is better than nothing - which is what he'd been getting) but I also got a nice big splash on my sweater and jeans.  I came home and said to my husband, "I need to run up and change my clothes. I'm covered in horse laxative," and his response was, "That's hot!"  Sigh.

My friend is calling the volunteer director to ask if I can come out the next three days to give Logan his laxative oil by syringe before he is surgery so that he can actually get some in his system, but I fear that might be too much of a liability because I haven't officially volunteered on site with them for a few years and haven't really been involved with them for two years since I fostered Sinatra.  Who is still there.  I wish he would find a good home.  He is a good kid, he just needs a very experienced and very energetic, alpha person to keep him in his place.  I fed him his hay and grain and hung out with him for a few minutes.  He still has no idea of where his feet are landing nad no concept of your personal space, but he is still also very charming.

It said on Logan's stall card that if the vet deems he can't do surgery than he will be euthanized  and that's been hanging heavily over my head this evening.  I know that whether or not he can have surgery does not hinge on whether or not he gets his horse laxative but if it makes the chances any better that he can I hope they'll let me give it to him.  But it's been haunting me this evening that he may die in four days.  He seemed like such a sweet guy underneath being so nervous and scared - but at the same time if he can't have the surgery he is in great pain and discomfort and the quality of his life is not good without the surgery so it would be more humane to put him down.  This is why I'm not more involved in horse rescue or veterinary medicine.  I just can't handle stuff like this well.  It makes me way too sad.  Even my fifteen minutes with Logan I'm already attached to him. Sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment