Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Thunderstruck

I was very thrilled a couple weeks ago that iTunes is finally selling AC/DC songs.  At first I thought my excitement was because I had a fever and had been in bed for a couple days and was stir-crazy but as I'm listening to them on my headphones tuning out the world (=cough= PMS =cough=) I think I am just excited to be rediscovering my teenage years.

So, Yoshi went back to his owners yesterday.  I was pretty disappointed about it but I know it worked out the way it should.  His pre-purchase exam was like a punch in the stomach.  But these things happen and I probably shouldn't get my hopes up so much and just naively think it will all work out ok before I have all the information.  His pre-purchase exam started out very well, even when the vet had him out on the lunge line and he showed no signs of lameness at the walk, trot or canter.  Then my vet did the flexion test.  That is where she holds a joint in a flexed position for a couple minutes, then counts down and when she hits 1, she says "Go!" and the handler takes the horse off at a trot.  In a negative flexion test the horse just trots off and is fine.  In a positive test the horse limps and has limited range of motion or pain on the joint as he takes off at a trot.  Well, that's what happened with Yoshi with all his feet.

I had Trainer K. handle him during the test so I could stand off to the side and watch and see how he did (you can't see at all what's going on when you're the handler - I was the handler for Toad during her pre-purchase and I had no idea if she was passing her flexion test or not while I was running along next to her).  Anyway, Trainer K. was getting ready to ride Gemini right before our flexion test, so I ended up standing off the side holding him and watching.  I felt my heart sink when Yoshi didn't pass the first leg, but then he didn't pass the next then both back legs too!  I was so disappointed I felt like I was going to cry.  But my vet told me it could be nothing and we could take x-rays and see what's going on.  Taking the x-rays was kind of cool.  She asked me if I wanted to be her assistant and dressed me up in the huge padded radiation protection gear and showed me where to hold the slides (and warned me that if the horse kicked them and they shattered they cost $1,000 to replace! Yikes!).

I held out hope but two days later I got a call from my vet saying things didn't look so good.  He had sidebones in the foot we x-rayed and a floating bone chip that looked to me like it was poking into the joint. And that was only in one foot.  So, the possible medical issues of that problem in just one foot and knowing there were problems in the other three but I didn't want to spend roughly $500 to get the rest of them x-rayed because I already knew I was not going to pay a couple thousand dollars for a horse with that many expensive medical problems ahead of him. So, I took him back to the owners.

I'm looking at a couple other horses right now.  One is a Lipizzan who seems very promising although I'm not sure because she's far away and I'd have to decide without meeting her first which is tough.  The other two are Paints and although they aren't the best dressage horses, I doubt in the next ten years I'll be going past 2nd Level anyway.   What I want more than anything is a good, solid horse companion who I can ride in my dressage lessons and take out on the trails just for fun, and hug and groom and play around with.  Like Girlfriend - although I still don't think she's up for a rider again. I think her days are for retirement and hanging out with her pasture buddy.  I'm sure it will all work out the way it's supposed to and I will choose the right horse (and said right horse will pass the pre-purchase and the seller will agree to sell to me).  That's another thing, I would be hesitant to buy a horse from someone who didn't approve me first too.  I'm so sad when I see ads on Craiglist for horses that "need to be gone by Saturday" and "$100 off if you come pick her up today!"

I'm starting to slowly get it at my new job and am spending more of my work day knowing what I'm doing than not knowing what I'm doing which is really nice.  It's kind of nice to be downtown two days a week again because it does bring back some nice memories of when I used to live down there.  In fact my office is probably not more than a mile from where I lived when I first met my husband.  Only now it's totally different.  In fact there is a brand new 24-hour swanky, yuppie grocery store across from my apartment building I used to live in - why wasn't that there when I lived there? Back in the day we had to trek up to Queen Anne to go to the grocery store.  But even better, it makes me appreciate even more where I live.  I am so happy when I get home (even if it does take over an hour in heavy traffic to get here!)

I'm noticing an enormous chasm between my home life (tromping around a barn) and my job (trying to tromp around a gi-normous ERP system).  I really enjoy both of them, there's just such a difference in the two worlds and I don't think about if I'm in just one or the other.   I can't imagine Trainer K. hanging out at my office and I can't imagine my co-workers hanging out at the barn.  Although, I noticed from all the photos on the walls near the coffee maker that they go on a lot of cool outings together - like Teatro Zinzanni and kayaking and I mentioned to my new boss that it would be fun to all go on a trail ride.  Which he said they did once when they all went to Leavenworth. Wow.  So cool. I wish I could afford to buy them all riding lessons.  That would be quite something.  But I'm not sure I could convince them that it would be as cool as I think it would be.   Someday I will own a horse farm and have career counselors do equine management training.

1 comment:

  1. Julia,
    So sad to read about Toshi's troubles...it must be hard to get somewhat attached and find out it's not meant to be. I don't know much about horses -I certainly would never know about that test! I hope you find the perfect horse very soon!

    I love that you can be so comfortable in both the horse and corporate worlds. It must be a sign of your strength and flexibility.

    No doubt your horse farm and equine management training will be very successful! I can even picture you adding horse therapy to your farm, too.

    ReplyDelete