Tuesday, April 16, 2013

But Volacoraptors eat eggs ...

We were having breakfast on the hotel patio yesterday and some really annoying boys and their much worse dad were being stupid and screaming at the birds and being everything that bugs me about humanity ... (ok - that's not the point ...) anyway, one of the boys put his breakfast plate down in the middle of the walkway (so lots of people had to step over it and looked confused) and yelled, "COME EAT, BIRDS!".  Ok - the fact that they were white trash dumbasses is not the point so let me get back on track.  All these sparrows landed on the plate and were eating the scrambled eggs and my husband expressed concern that it wasn't good for them.  So, in true pre-coffee fashion I said, "I think it's OK. Bigger birds like Volacoraptors eat eggs," to which he said, "Those are really big birds, Honey ..." then paused and when I didn't say anything he said, "You know those are dinosaurs, right?" to which I did the facepalm thing and said, "Oh yeah,  I meant raptors."

A bit of research shows that even small birds eat eggs naturally.  They wouldn't probably eat chicken eggs unless they are living around a farm, but they eat unhatched eggs and it provides them with important minerals and nutrients.  More research shows that they have a lot of House Sparrows down here along with some Eurasian Tree Sparrows. There are a few Starlings that come around too but they aren't as fearless of the people as the Sparrows.

I'm reading a book by Temple Grandin about animal behavior as relating to people with autism and it's very interesting.  A lot of what she is saying about animals and their way of perceiving the world is what I already know, but I've had to do a lot of reading and research and spent a lot of hands-on time with animals in order to know it and it just comes naturally to her because of the way her brain works.  I highly recommend it to anyone who has pets or works with animals or has any interest at all in them.  Or I guess now that I think about it, it would be a good read for anyone who has people in their lives with autism.


No comments:

Post a Comment