Monday, June 2, 2014

... and right next to an active volcano.

I spent last Saturday either in bed or on the couch recovering from uber-energy-drain illness I caught from my daughter.  It was actually very good for me despite I was feeling depressed from inactivity.  But as I explained to my co-worker Miss T. (who was doing the same thing because on Friday she had a farm accident and dislocated her shoulder) it is not a sign of being a "pussy wimp" (her words ... mine would probably be "lame ass") it is actually a sign of strength.  It is a lot harder (emotionally and mentally) to rest and take care of yourself than it is to power-through and keep going even though it hurts and you know you're messing yourself up even more.  It's ironic because when I was young and in the worst of panic disorder/PTSD/etc. I had a period of barely being able to even move outside my comfort zone, but in order to heal from all that I had to push myself to do hard things.  Eventually, it became a habit to push myself.  Like when I was in halo traction with a broken neck after being hit by a drunk driver - I had a friend drive me through the intersection a few times where I had been hit because I knew if I didn't I wouldn't be able (emotionally) to drive anymore.  But it's time to find a balance.

On Saturday my husband took my daughter out to the magical island to look at a small horse farm (that I'd been trying to get him to look at for a month) and unfortunately, he got out there and declared that it was absolutely perfect for us and in the perfect price range, but someone had already made an offer on it on Friday.  So, we missed out on that.  I'm sure that's fine because it just wasn't meant to be.  But I amused myself (while watching a marathon of The Good Wife on Amazon Prime) looking at horse properties for sale in hopes of finding one that would be perfect for my rehab boarding facility.  I did find one in Enumclaw that fit all of our criteria (well, except for it being a horrible commute to Seattle) and as I was looking at all the photos and stats I did find myself muttering, "Totally perfect except for that being so close to an active volcano thing."

Yes, Enumclaw is under an active volcano and I must admit that common sense (which tells me I'm incredibly stupid for living Seattle to begin with when we're on such a big fault line but at least we aren't literally living right over the fault line like we were when we lived on Capitol Hill) tells me that we really shouldn't buy property underneath an active volcano.  Then the group, collective mind-numbness-thinking creeps back in and I think "But it's such a beautiful farm at a good price and how often do volcanoes erupt ..."  and then I harken back to the 1980's when Mt St Helen's erupted and that was hard enough on Enumclaw and Puyallup (and Burien where I grew up).  We had to miss school and were told not to leave our houses for a few days if at all possible because everything was covered in ash.  We had to go go my cousin's house in Puyallup about four days after the eruption and it looked like they'd had a blizzard of gray snow and it was still falling.   But Mt Rainier is substantially closer and geological maps show Enumclaw right smack in the path of the lava/mud slide path.   Like all those folks who suffered through the Oso mudslide ... do I want to be one of those people that says "It might be a bit hazardous to live under an active volcano but I haven't heard any warnings from the government so it's probably ok ..."  or do I want to err on the side of caution and the government has enough trouble dealing with it's huge debt and not having folks in their own departments know what's going on? 

I guess it's a moot point because the commute would be far too much for my husband.  And my farrier, vet and riding instructor probably wouldn't come down there.  But it's really a beautiful property.  Here - one of you guys buy it. Really, volcanoes don't erupt here. That's just craziness. (the good news is, is that at least with volcanoes - unlike mudslides and earthquakes - you get warnings and can evacuate yourself and your animals in plenty of time). 

In other news, I still didn't have the energy yesterday do both visit my first real equine massage client as a professional and scribe at a schooling show at Lake WA Saddle Club, so I had to cancel the latter. But it was still pretty great to be able visit my first paying client.  I am actually glad the State took so long to figure out how to do the endorsement on my massage license because it gave me a lot of time to do no charge massages and become a lot more comfortable with what I'm doing and become more confident in my abilities.

I love this photo - it's the view from my client's living room window.  I have dreams of that being the view from my living room window someday.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Julia!
    I lost track of you and am so happy to rediscover your blog again!
    I had fun reading the last few posts and getting somewhat caught up. I hope you find the perfect horse farm, too! Sounds exhausting to me, but when it's your passion it's not work...right? ;-)
    Happy spring to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete